St. Michael's School

Ridge, Maryland

SMS History

In 1912, the men of St. Michael's Parish constructed a building that had a large open first floor room and four divided rooms on the second floor. It served as a meeting/social hall for 6 years. In 1918, with the coming of 4 members of the Missionary Servants of the Blessed Trinity, St. Michael’s School was opened. The Servants served for one year and then a group of Third order Carmelites staffed the school. They spent less than a year, so Jesuits, with the help of some lay women, finished out the school year. For the next two years, Dr. Caroline Martin and some committed lay women of the community staffed the school.

In 1922, five sisters of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Hartford, Ct. came and staffed the school. Until 1999 the Sisters cared for the school and its students. Since then, former principal Mrs. Regina Housel, and current principal Mrs. Lila Hofmeister have run the school in partnership with the faculty, staff, and community volunteers.

The present school building located on Route 235 just to the right of St. Michael's Church, was erected in 1950. The library and two more classrooms were added to the structure in 1960. In 1999, a new wing with two classrooms was added. This provided space to expand the library and provide a well appointed computer lab with internet access and 25 computers. Currently, St. Michael's School includes pre-kindergarten through eighth grade.
Calendar Contact Links Auction 2017
16560 Three Notch Rd. Ridge, MD 20680 Phone: 301-872-5454 Fax: 301-872-4047 Hours: 8:00-3:00 Mon-Fri Mail: PO BOX 259 Ridge, MD 20680